Saturday, November 25, 2017

November 25th, 2017

So much happened today, I'm exhausted. The Museum was crazy busy with the new exhibit opening to the public. Even incomplete it still drew a huge crowd wanting to see the new layout. We actually had to post a couple of security guards at the entrance to the exhibit to act as bouncers, only letting in so many people at a time. The line backed all the way around the 4th floor and down the escalators, and we were advising guests as they arrived of the wait times to view the new exhibit. It was just crazy.

The amount of traffic made it difficult for me to get to lunch on time, and I wouldn't have noticed if Jacklyn hadn't asked why I was eating along. I thought she was asking about Max, since Max usually joins me on Saturdays. Turns out she was asking about Hal instead. I guess my family wasn't the only ones who thought we were together. It's odd, I felt angry about at first, until I realized that was my practiced reaction. Then I realized that we are kinda together now, and I could feel that stupid grin creeping its way back onto my face.

Fortunately my lunch break was too short. After Jacklyn I did start feeling self conscious about eating alone.

The day flew by, one of the advantages of being busy. But by the end I was struggling to count my till down fast enough. I kept looking outside, and sure enough Hal was out there waiting for me. I got super nervous while I was rushing to finish so Hal and I could make the movie and had to recount my drawer for having forgotten where I was. So embarrassing!

We didn't miss the movie, thankfully, but we were sitting down just as the teasers finished up.

Ragnarok was so much fun! I can't believe I waited so long to see it, and now I can't wait for Black Panther and The Infinity War. This is going to be so epic! I don't normally like awkward humor, but they do very well with Thor, it fits him amazingly well and helps keep his godly self a little down to earth. Valkyrie was awesome, kudos to Tessa for that. And Loki, dear sweet Loki: "That's what it feels like!" I laughed so hard!

After getting pumped up at the movie, we were both pretty hungry. Hal said he had wanted to get us a seat at a nice restaurant, but he posed the question and I agreed that subs sounded great.

We geeked out about the movie for a while and had a great time together. But it was starting to get late, so I asked him if we needed to talk shop. Hal nodded and proceeded to tell me that he had learned of an incident at the Asian Art Museum in San Francisco. It was odd, different from the other incidents which was why he hadn't noticed it earlier. Not a break in like the others, rather one of the visitors was caught standing too close to an item on display. He ignored the guards when they asked him to step back, and then to leave. They had to forcibly remove him from the grounds, and that took five guards despite the guy being relatively small. Skinny, about average height, which from a basic description sounded similar to the costumed mummy that had been spotted in Las Vegas. The guards weren't able to offer a description, saying the guys face was covered in rags. He didn't talk, or yell out, or anything. And beyond resisting being thrown out, he didn't put up much of a fight. Museum security had called the police to meet them and arrest the guy, but once they got him outside he somehow melted into a crowd of people and disappeared.

I didn't want to say it 'cause it seems like a movie cliche, but Hal and I both admitted to thinking Nephmesu himself was causing the troubles. Hal said that was impossible, his exhibit was open during the time of the incident and there was no report, at any time, that Nephmesu was missing from his display. If the incidents had all been over night, when his display was closed, he'd be more willing to consider that possibility. But not for this to happen while people were actively visiting him in his display. Besides, if he'd left his display at anytime, there should have been security measures that would have detected it.

After scratching our heads over that, we turned our attentions to the tree. Having spent my weekend focusing on Thanksgiving, I hadn't seen much in the news. But yesterday and today I'd learned that things had been pretty quiet, and remained so even through today. It's like people relaxed over the holiday. But Hal had caught an article about how a group of crows seemed to have taken up residence in Confluence park. He wasn't sure if it was connected, the article didn't itself seem to connect the crows to the tree. Mostly what drew his attention to it was that every picture in the article had the tree in the background, which was how he had come across the article in the first place. So he had gone looking for more current pictures in alternative sources that showed the "fireflies." Those sites didn't have any new pictures in the last few days, and he didn't find any images that showed both the crows and the "fireflies" at the same time. I had to admit, that seemed odd. It could be coincidence. But, what if the crows were moving in after the "fireflies" had left? Or, what if whatever attracted the "fireflies" had moved up to something bigger, and was now attracting the crows?

Hal said he hadn't had a chance to talk to Tim about it yet. His work within the organization had been directed toward advancing his studies. Which Hal explained to mean that he was studying for his classes and then whatever else they could throw at him. As far as The Illuminati was concerned, that's all he needed to concern himself with.

There wasn't much else to talk about though. Disappearances are down, appearances are down. We both think that has to do with the winter months. Nothing else seems to be happening, so our conversation turned back to our date. Hal said he enjoyed seeing the movie with me, and I liked that we were able to both talk about it afterward. We definitely both approached the movie from different viewpoints. It was nice for me to go over the movie from his point of view, and he seemed to be able to appreciate my own point of view. I had to point out though that with how late it was getting, I didn't think I could be seeing a movie every Saturday night, but once in a while would be fun. Hal agreed, he said The Illuminati was probably not going to be happy about the books he wasn't reading right now. All in all though, it seemed we had a successful first date. And we've agreed that we should do it again sometime.


No comments:

Post a Comment