Tuesday, December 5, 2017

December 5th, 2017

Tomorrow's the big day, and we're all feeling it at the museum. We're not sure exactly when Nephmesu will arrive, but when he does everything is going to be put on high alert. The Egypt exhibit will have to be closed off for the rest of the evening. While we haven't publicized Nephmesu's arrival as much as when his exhibit will be opened, we've been getting a lot of people hoping to catch a glimpse of his arrival. Even today they were loitering around the Egypt display and making the guards nervous. In one of John's better ideas, he invited some of the scientists out to give talks and educate those that seemed interested. It worked out great, the loiterers either left or joined in on the lesson.

Hal was looking pretty stressed at lunch today. He said finals were rearing their ugly heads, and with the stress here at work and with Tim, he's feeling the pressure. I asked what was up with Tim, and Hal explained that mostly he was being inconsiderate with the responsibilities he already had. Tim was really pushing him to look into Melia Floros, and seemed all too interested in the growth on the side of the tree. He even wanted Hal to go to the Botanic Gardens and do some snooping there. I echo'd Hal's exasperation by asking when he had the time?

Hal apologized for being a downer, and then again that he'd be distracted over the next few weeks. Between studying for finals, getting projects completed, and staying on top of his work here he's not going to have a lot of spare time. Though it does sound like once Nephmesu gets here some of Hal's workload will be relived.

I offered the wistful thought that if only I had a weekend off, we could take a break for a day and let him rest and recover. He asked what we would do, and I brought up that I still hadn't seen the last season of Supernatural. I couldn't believe Hal had never seen Supernatural. He was at least aware of it, but between school and work, he doesn't have a lot of time. And when he does, he likes being outside. So I asked about his interests in fiction and books and shows. He's a fan of Tolkien, in fact he said when he's out hiking he likes to pretend he's in Middle-Earth. I don't think anything has ever encouraged me to get out and hike more!

Of course, we couldn't talk for much longer since our lunch break was quickly coming to an end. And for all his reasons I didn't see him after work. So I haven't been able to follow up on what he enjoys. I know he likes comics, he'd grown up with them. He enjoys all the movies that have been made and are planned 'cause he loves seeing the comics brought to life on the big screen. But outside the comics, I now only know that he likes The Lord of the Rings. I think he'd like Supernatural, and I did suggest we find time to watch it. I had made a similar suggestion to Candace too. I wonder if we're going to have to do a binge group. I know Max'd be up for it. It might have to wait till the summer though when they're out of school.

With everything that's going on, I have to admit that I'm glad I'll be off tomorrow. But when I get back on Friday, Grand Opening! I'm excited, and terrified.

I need to remember on Thursday when I see Candace, to ask her about coming to the museum. Probably not this week, but maybe next. I know I'd like to be able to see the new exhibit as a guest for a change, and she's been very curious about the museum and what we do.

Speaking of what to remember, I made sure to check the calendar just to look ahead. I hadn't added our tubing trip, so it's on there now. And besides the holidays the only thing I have this month is my dentist appointment next week. I also noticed it's been a week since my last dizzy spell, which means on average I should be having another attack soon. I'll have to take things carefully tomorrow while I'm out running chores.


No comments:

Post a Comment